We understand how difficult it is to choose a senior living home or care provider for a loved one. Luckily, we are here to guide you. Here is a resource guide that will help you find practical tools for evaluating options and advice on knowing when “it’s the right time”. Continue reading to learn more!
Here’s How to Manage Difficult Emotions Around Senior Care
It can be extremely difficult and you may be fraught with emotions when you have to decide on your options for senior living homes or in-home care. Here are some of the main contributors to the stress that many caregivers experience:
- You will witness a decline in your loved one’s health.
- You will see your loved one struggling to maintain independence after they’ve lost a spouse or partner.
- You are feeling the strain of balancing your career and family while being a caregiver.
Are you the primary caregiver for a parent or older relative? Then you must also be wrestling with guilt, grief, feelings of inadequacy, or even burnout – especially if you’ve been taking care of the person for a long time.
Being aware of and processing complicated feelings and emotions can be very important. It can help you shape the entire experience. Some tips you can follow to help include:
- You can talk to a trusted friend, relative, mentor, or therapist.
- You can seek professional support online or in-person.
Signs Your Loved One Needs Support
Apart from dealing with the emotions on your end, keep an eye out for things that may signal a parent’s or relative’s need for support. Some signs may be subtle, however, other times they are quite obvious and can include:
- The lack of organization or forgetfulness such as piles of unopened mail or unpaid bills.
- The lack of energy or inability to maintain their daily chores and errands such as cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, etc.
- Your elderly loved one failing to take their required medications or seek medical help.
- Not enjoying or partaking in their usual activities.
Top Steps for Finding Care
Here’s a checklist that you can follow to find the right housing or in-home care once you’ve determined the type of support your loved one needs:
- You can start your research online.
- You can also consider referrals from friends or peers who have relied on those services.
- Try making a list of three to five home care agencies or senior living communities and make appointments for consultations.
- You can also interview prospective caregivers or take an in-person tour of the facilities.
- Ensure that you are asking as many questions as you can while taking into account your elderly loved one’s needs and requirements.
- Make sure to have a proper discussion with your family in order to take their considerations into mind and to make the right choices.
We hope the above-provided guide will help you make the right decision. At Home Instead Senior Care, our CAREGivers are professionally trained to care for your loved ones. With proper care and assistance, our team will ensure your loved ones are active and mentally stimulated so they can enjoy life to the fullest. Call us at (910) 421-2572 for further information.